Search

Warning issued to residents after crystal doorknob starts fire in Harlesden house

12:41 23 September 2016

The fire in Harlesden was started by a crystal knob (Pic: Twitter@LondonFire)

The fire in Harlesden was started by a crystal knob (Pic: Twitter@LondonFire)

Archant

Fire chiefs are urging people to keep items such as crystal furnishings and shaving mirrors out of the way of direct sunlight after a glass doorknob sparked a blaze in a housie in Harlesden.

London Fire Brigade’s top three sunlight safety tips

• Keep concave mirrors and crystal or glass objects away from sunny sills and flammable materials.

• Fit at least one smoke alarm per floor and test them every week to make sure they work and the batteries are not flat.

• If you have a fire, close the door on the blaze, get out stay out and call the brigade

The fire was believed to have started after a coat was removed from a glass doorknob which focused the sun’s rays on nearby clothes.

Luckily the property had a smoke alarm which alerted the family and they safely evacuated the house.

Clare Thomson, who was at home at the time of the fire earlier this month, said: “I was amazed at how intense the low September sun could be and I was amazed at how quickly a small fire could take place. I dread to think what would have happened if I had not been at home.

“Since the fire, I have been asking all my friends if they have smoke alarms, and if they know that they are actually working and checked.

Luckily the family were alerted by a snoke alarm (Pic: Twitter@LondonFire)Luckily the family were alerted by a snoke alarm (Pic: Twitter@LondonFire)

“I would advise people not to buy crystal doorknobs, and I would advise home stores to be aware of the fire risk when stocking. Or, at least, such doorknobs should come with a warning.”

Ms Thomson and her family were able to return to their home after firefighters put the blaze out.

Charlie Pugsley, head of the London Fire Brigade’s investigation team, said: “These sort of incidents are not as rare as you would think. I’ve seen everything from sparkly doorknobs and crystal balls to glass fish bowls and Nutella jars containing crystals starting fires.

“Crystal and glass ornaments and items such as shaving mirrors should be kept out of direct sunlight. The homeowners were extremely lucky and they were alerted to the fire by their smoke alarm.

“I would urge everyone to ensure they have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home and know what to do in the event of a fire.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Kilburn Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Kilburn Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Kilburn Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Kilburn & Brent News Stories

Fri, 17:09
Kings Edge Medical Centre is in Kingsbury (Pic: Google)

A GP surgery in Kingsbury has been placed in special measures after a health watchdog uncovered a shocking catalogue of failures including a lack of infection control.

Fri, 15:56
NCA officers arriving at Markuta's home to arrest him (Pic: NCA)

A Willesden man has been jailed for hacking into a business computer network and stealing more than 450,000 email accounts and passwords.

Fri, 13:31
May Redley, from Harlesden, was wrongly billed by British Gas and panicked by threatening letters set up a direct debit to pay it. Picture credit: Adam Tiernan Thomas

A bungling energy company frightened an elderly pensioner from Harlesden into paying £30 towards a bill sent to her despite her not being a customer.

Fri, 12:41
The fire in Harlesden was started by a crystal knob (Pic: Twitter@LondonFire)

Fire chiefs are urging people to keep items such as crystal furnishings and shaving mirrors out of the way of direct sunlight after a glass doorknob sparked a blaze in a housie in Harlesden.

Fri, 12:13
Heather Jones at the junction where she was fined (Photo by Adam Tiernan Thomas)

A motorist refused compensation by the council after she paid the penalty for a wrong right hand turn in Kensal Rise has had the ruling overturned by an adjudicator.

Thu, 18:12
The victim was not given enough support by Brent Council PICTURE POSED BY MODEL

Brent Council has been ordered to pay £750 compensation to a domestic violence victim for failing to provide adequate support when she needed to be rehoused for her own safety.

Thu, 15:45
The woman was hit by a car on Ealing Road at the junction of Wembley High Road (Pic: Google)

An elderly woman has been seriously injured after she was hit by a car while crossing a road in Wembley this morning.

Thu, 15:15
Members of the Terence Higgins Trust under the rainbow at Brent's first Mini Pride Festival

The first mini ‘Pride’ event has taken place in Brent to celebrate the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community, promote HIV prevention and tackle homophobia in the borough.

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Newsletter Sign Up

Most Read Kilburn News

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Kit yourself out and go Apple mad!

If you’re obsessed with Apple or just love a good gadget, this is a prize that will blow you away! An incredible £3,333 to spend on Apple goodies! How would you like to be the proud new owner of the Apple Watch?

VW Golf Estate

As we grow older it becomes more and more important to have means to travel about safely and quickly. Our friendship groups and families grow and the need to have a car that is not only safe but also fast and big enough for all our needs is ever more important. There are many cars on the market for such needs but none deals with them as efficiently or as neatly as a VW Golf Estate. These cars are build strong, long lasting and spacious for a reason. They cater to the needs of many and are some of the most popular cars currently on the market.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Brent & Kilburn Times
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now