Search

Warning issued to residents after crystal doorknob starts fire in Harlesden house

PUBLISHED: 12:41 23 September 2016 | UPDATED: 12:46 23 September 2016

The fire in Harlesden was started by a crystal knob (Pic: Twitter@LondonFire)

The fire in Harlesden was started by a crystal knob (Pic: Twitter@LondonFire)

Archant

Fire chiefs are urging people to keep items such as crystal furnishings and shaving mirrors out of the way of direct sunlight after a glass doorknob sparked a blaze in a housie in Harlesden.

London Fire Brigade’s top three sunlight safety tips

• Keep concave mirrors and crystal or glass objects away from sunny sills and flammable materials.

• Fit at least one smoke alarm per floor and test them every week to make sure they work and the batteries are not flat.

• If you have a fire, close the door on the blaze, get out stay out and call the brigade

The fire was believed to have started after a coat was removed from a glass doorknob which focused the sun’s rays on nearby clothes.

Luckily the property had a smoke alarm which alerted the family and they safely evacuated the house.

Clare Thomson, who was at home at the time of the fire earlier this month, said: “I was amazed at how intense the low September sun could be and I was amazed at how quickly a small fire could take place. I dread to think what would have happened if I had not been at home.

“Since the fire, I have been asking all my friends if they have smoke alarms, and if they know that they are actually working and checked.

Luckily the family were alerted by a snoke alarm (Pic: Twitter@LondonFire) Luckily the family were alerted by a snoke alarm (Pic: Twitter@LondonFire)

“I would advise people not to buy crystal doorknobs, and I would advise home stores to be aware of the fire risk when stocking. Or, at least, such doorknobs should come with a warning.”

Ms Thomson and her family were able to return to their home after firefighters put the blaze out.

Charlie Pugsley, head of the London Fire Brigade’s investigation team, said: “These sort of incidents are not as rare as you would think. I’ve seen everything from sparkly doorknobs and crystal balls to glass fish bowls and Nutella jars containing crystals starting fires.

“Crystal and glass ornaments and items such as shaving mirrors should be kept out of direct sunlight. The homeowners were extremely lucky and they were alerted to the fire by their smoke alarm.

“I would urge everyone to ensure they have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home and know what to do in the event of a fire.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Kilburn Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Kilburn Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Kilburn Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Kilburn & Brent News Stories

14:05

A Wembley mother who was spared jail for posting Islamic State propaganda on Facebook is to have her sentenced challenged by the Attorney General.

A man has admitted ploughing into two Brent police officers in a sports car, leaving one critically injured.

Yesterday, 19:05

Supermarket chiefs in Wembley are being served a notice to sort out persistent noise made in its car park following seven years of complaints by residents.

Yesterday, 18:40

An 86-year-old pensioner who went missing from Willesden has been found.

Yesterday, 16:19

Health chiefs in Brent are urging people to avoid going to hospital if they are experiencing flu-like symptoms in order to protect other patients.

Yesterday, 11:37

A Neasden motorist is appealing a fine claiming a ticket was issued when a “no right turn” sign was either not visible or missing in Queen’s Park.

Yesterday, 11:12

Environmental officers are investigating whether leaking paint during a devastating factory blaze has contaminated the Welsh Harp reservoir.

Tue, 16:53

Police are appealing for help in finding a missing 86-year-old woman from Willesden who has dementia.

PROMOTED CONTENT

Brent Clinical Commissioning Group has announced changes to the community’s cardiology service.

If you have been looking for laser hair removal, beauty salon treatments, or skin care services you may be confused and overwhelmed with so much information out there and so many clinics and salons promising miraculous results.

Louise McGowan, who started as headmistress of Convent of Jesus and Mary Language College in September, speaks to education editor James Scott about life at the school.

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most Read Kilburn News

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Brent & Kilburn Times
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now