Search

Unexploded Second World War bomb found in Brondesbury Park

PUBLISHED: 15:15 02 March 2017 | UPDATED: 10:45 03 March 2017

Nearby residences, businesses, schools and buildings have been evacuated as a precaution. (Photo: Met Police)

Nearby residences, businesses, schools and buildings have been evacuated as a precaution. (Photo: Met Police)

Archant

Residents evacuated and ten schools closed for the day after the device was discovered in a building site on The Avenue.

Specialist officers from the Army are currently on the scene and assessing the device. (Met Police)Specialist officers from the Army are currently on the scene and assessing the device. (Met Police)

Police officers and colleagues from the London Fire Brigade were called to the scene shortly after 11am yesterday morning after the bomb was found by builders working on a site backing onto both Christchurch Avenue and The Avenue.

A spokesman for the Fire Brigade confirmed two engines and 14 firefighters had been dispatched shortly before midday to assist police at the scene responding to “a suspected World War II bomb”.

Specialist officers from the Army are currently on the scene and assessing the device.

Cordons around the device have been put in place to facilitate the Army specialists and there are road closures in the area.

Police cordons at The Avenue (Photo: Sam Corbishley)Police cordons at The Avenue (Photo: Sam Corbishley)

Pupils and staff from the Marylebone Boys’ School, who have only resided in their Christchurch Avenue site since Monday this week, were also evacuated to Tiverton Green.

Headteacher Richard Ardron told The Times: “The first we knew about it was when the builders next door said they had found something suspicious and had called the police and were awaiting what they said.

“Next thing, we had the police coming who said it looks really suspicious and we need to evacuate the building.

“At that point, we enacted our evacuation plan and moved the boys to this site.”

Police officers and colleagues from the London Fire Brigade at the scene (Photo: Sam Corbishley)Police officers and colleagues from the London Fire Brigade at the scene (Photo: Sam Corbishley)

Mr Ardron hailed the assistance of the emergency services as “absolutely fantastic”, adding: “I’d like to commend the actions of the police, fire and all the public services.

“Our boys were fantastic in evacuating in a sensible and safe manner. The boys’ safety was our first priority.”

Parents should check the school’s website for details on when it will reopen.

Brent Council confirmed this morning that the following schools will be closed all day today:

Residents and school pupils on Christchurch Avenue were also evacuated (Photo: Sam Corbishley)Residents and school pupils on Christchurch Avenue were also evacuated (Photo: Sam Corbishley)

Brondesbury College For Boys

Al-Sadiq and Al-Zahra

Christ Church CofE Primary School

Islamia Primary School

Malorees Infant School

Malorees Junior School

North West London Jewish Day School

Marylebone Boys’ School

Salusbury Primary School

Islamia Girls’ Secondary School

The following roads will be encompassed within the cordon that will be extended this morning:

St. Hilda’s close

Manor House Drive south

Christchurch Avenue between St Hilda’s Close and Mowbray Road

The Avenue between Tiverton Green and Mowbray Road

Brondesbury Park between Coverdale Road and Chevening Road

Wilesden Lane between Coverdale Road and Winchester

Avenue Mowbray Road between Chevening Road and Willesden Lane

Winchester Avenue between Chevening Road and Willesden Lane Dyne Road between

Willesden Lane and Torbay Road Cavendish Road between The Avenue and Mowbray Road

Mapesbury Road between Willesden Lane and Mowbury Road

Brondesbury Park Cllr Carol Shaw also praised the emergency services, adding: “They put their lives on the line for our community and we should appreciate that because an incident like this brings it all home.”

A neighbour, Robin Mills, managed to catch a glimpse of the incident unfolding from his window at home in The Avenue.

“I saw the police coming down and all the builders getting off [the site] quickly,” he told The Times.

“Then the police arrived. About half an hour later there was a knock on the door to evacuate.”

Mr Mills added: “From what I could see, [the device] was about six-feet long and about a foot wide.”

He described the being evacuated for the first time as feeling “a bit strange”.

“I can imagine what people in the war times must have felt,” he said.

Sgt Mark Lucas moved to assuage residents’ fears at the scene as they awaited the arrival of the army bomb disposal team.

“The situation is in hand - please do not panic,” he said. “If further evacuation is needed it will be done in an orderly fashion co-ordinated by the emergency services and our partners.”

Cllr Muhammed Butt, Leader of Brent Council, said: “Council officers are currently making arrangements for our residents in the Willesden Lane area to make their way to a rest centre where they will be looked after until it is safe for them to return to their homes.

“I would like to thank these residents who have shown great patience during this time. We will continue to provide updates on the situation as soon as they come through.”

A reception area in Mortimer Road has been opened by the London Borough of Brent to assist those residents affected. They will be laying on local transport from the area.

Superintendent Nigel Quantrell of Brent Borough, said: “I would like to thank the community for their continued support as we and our partners deal with this incident.

“I can assure you that we are working very hard resolve the situation. The public’s understanding and cooperation is deeply appreciated.”

If you want to check on an affected resident who lives in the area call the local authority helpline which is 020 8937 5788.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Kilburn Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Kilburn Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Kilburn Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Kilburn & Brent News Stories

Fri, 12:59

An organisation based in Wembley will be joining in the fun tonight as Comic Relief’s Red Nose Day goes live on television.

Fri, 09:25

Tottenham Hotspur moved closer to playing home games at Wembley Stadium next season after their application to host 27 matches at the full 90,000 capacity was approved despite overwhelming objection from local residents and businesses.

Thu, 17:05

More than 25 residents gathered on a green on Barn Rise, in Wembley, today to plant the last of 60 new trees in the area funded by the Greater London Authority.

Thu, 13:28

The flag at Brent Civic Centre is flying at half mast today in solidarity with all those killed and injured in yesterday’s alleged terror attack in Westminster, which saw four people die.

Thu, 12:36

Children and young people in Brent wishing to give their mothers something a little different this year are invited to be the first in the country to be specially gift-wrapped with boxes, ribbons and bows.

Thu, 10:15

Brent North MP Barry Gardiner has praised police and condemned the “sordid, shameful and vile” terrorist attack in Westminster yesterday.

Thu, 09:50

Notices have gone up on a demolished pub in Kilburn signalling a long-awaited start to rebuild it ‘brick by brick’.

Wed, 16:53

Hampstead and Kilburn MP Tulip Siddiq has confirmed she is safe and well after a suspected terrorist attack near the Houses of Parliament.

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most Read Kilburn News

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Brent & Kilburn Times
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now