Search

Trapped woman and children rescued by fire fighters in Colindale

PUBLISHED: 13:24 06 October 2017

A woman and two children were rescued from a blaze which started in the restaurant below their flat (Picture: LFB)

A woman and two children were rescued from a blaze which started in the restaurant below their flat (Picture: LFB)

Archant

A woman and two children trapped in their second-floor Colindale flat as a blaze tore through a restaurant below were rescued by firefighters via a ladder.

A woman and two children were rescued from a blaze in Colindale (Pic: Simon Tuhill, LFB) A woman and two children were rescued from a blaze in Colindale (Pic: Simon Tuhill, LFB)

Six fire engines and 35 firefighters were called to the second floor flat in Edgware Road around 10.45pm last night.

A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “The fire started in a restaurant’s ducting system. It is believed that hot fat and grease in the ducting caught fire and as the ducting ran the length of the building, the fire was able to spread.”

Fire crews said the flat did not have a working smoke alarm and the woman was only alerted to the fire when she smelt smoke but by this point she was trapped.

An LFB spokesman said: “If the resident hadn’t noticed the smell of smoke, or this fire happened a couple hours later when everyone was asleep, this incident could have had a very different outcome.

“Smoke alarms are a vital early warning sign from danger.

“Ideal spots for smoke alarms include rooms where you leave electrical equipment running like satellite boxes, computers or heaters; any room where you smoke, and anywhere you charge your mobile or laptop.

“As a minimum you should have smoke alarms on every floor - in the hallways and the rooms you use the most, plus a heat alarm in the kitchen. They should be linked together and tested regularly.”

The blaze damaged part of the ground, first floors and stairs in the block.

He added it was a “timely reminder” for food outlets as the fire spread via the restaurant’s ducting. He said:

“This incident also serves as a timely reminder to all restaurant and take-away owners to always take care to make sure their extraction systems are kept clean as a buildup of fat and grease within the filters can lead to a fire.”

The Brigade was called at 10.44pm and the fire was under control by 1.34am

Crews from Hendon, Mill Hill, Stanmore and West Hampstead attended.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Kilburn Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Kilburn Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Kilburn Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Kilburn & Brent News Stories

Yesterday, 18:18

People across Brent have slammed the council for not gritting roads ahead of a snow storm at the weekend.

Yesterday, 15:08

Eight secondary schools in Brent are closed today following harsh snow conditions at the weekend.

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Weather warnings have been issued across London following heavy snowfall overnight and this morning.

Friday, December 8, 2017

The graves belonging to the children of one of the country’s first mix-raced aristocrats have been given a new lease of life in Kensal Green cemetery.

Thursday, December 7, 2017

Environmental campaigners are the latest to take a stand against Coca-Cola which is driving its “truckload of rubbish” into Wembley Park tomorrow.

Thursday, December 7, 2017

The first ultrasound training scheme in the UK has been launched at Central Middlesex Hospital to deal with the short supply of sonographers.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Council chiefs are calling for Coca-Cola to give out only ‘diet’ and ‘zero sugar’ drinks when its truck rolls into Wembley this Friday.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

People with their pooches raised a staggering £30,000 at a Kensal Green charity’s glitzy fundraiser.

PROMOTED CONTENT

If you have been looking for laser hair removal, beauty salon treatments, or skin care services you may be confused and overwhelmed with so much information out there and so many clinics and salons promising miraculous results.

Louise McGowan, who started as headmistress of Convent of Jesus and Mary Language College in September, speaks to education editor James Scott about life at the school.

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most Read Kilburn News

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Brent & Kilburn Times
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now