Search

Junior doctors’ strike called off at Northwick Park and Central Middlesex hospitals

PUBLISHED: 13:45 19 January 2016 | UPDATED: 13:59 19 January 2016

Campaigners at the Northwick Park Hospital junior doctors' strike last week.  Pic credit: Angela Blake

Campaigners at the Northwick Park Hospital junior doctors' strike last week. Pic credit: Angela Blake

Archant

Junior doctors’ strikes which would have affected Northwick Park and Central Middlesex hospitals have been called off.

The second set of strikes would have resulted in emergency care only at both hospitals for 48 hours from January 26.

It follows a strike last Tuesday, which saw doctors take to picket lines outside the hospitals.

The British Medical Association (BMA) released a statement saying industrial action has been suspended whilst talks between the union and the government over contract changes continue.

BMA junior doctor committee chair, Dr Johann Malawana, said: “Following junior doctors’ clear message to the government during last week’s action, our focus is now on building on early progress made in the current set of talks.

“Differences still exist between the BMA and the government on key areas, including the protection of patient safety and doctor’s working lives, and the recognition of unsocial hours. Significant, concrete progress will need to be made if future action, currently planned for 10 February, is to be averted.”

The dispute began after the government implied they would impose junior contract changes which would extend ‘basic’ working hours.

Following the strikes, health secretary Jeremy Hunt emphasised his desire to continue with negotiations.

He said: “The door is open. I think these are things we can sort out by talking and not by risking patient safety.”

But doctors striking at Northwick Park Hospital in Watford Road, Sudbury, told the Times last week that “patients will die” if the changes go ahead.

London North West Healthcare Trust, which runs the hospitals, has been contacted for comment.

Latest Kilburn & Brent News Stories

17:37

A “predatory” private hire driver from Brent has been jailed for two years over a series of sexual assaults on lone women in his car.

14:27

A front page from the Kilburn Times dating back to the Second World War brought together a pair of long-lost cousins – who didn’t even know of each other’s existence.

The community living on a Stonebridge estate have expressed fears over their “once in a life time” opportunity to be balloted on redevelopment proposals where they live.

Yesterday, 10:16

A gun, £20,000 in cash and Class A drugs were seized from a travellers’ site in Neasden during a police raid yesterday.

Wed, 13:25

Armed police raided a travellers’ site in Neasden in the early hours of the morning.

Wed, 09:06

A Brondesbury childminder whose health is deteriorating in her damp-ridden flat is pleading with the council to sort the problem out.

Wed, 07:58

A community gathered in Dollis Hill to scrub out Nazi graffiti that had appeared in Gladstone Park.

Tue, 14:49

Police in Brent have London’s second worst average response time to 999 calls, new figures reveal.

PROMOTED CONTENT

A new community centre, The Yellow, opens in Wembley Park in the heart of the Brent community. From October 1, the hub will offer a selection of arts and fitness classes, many of which will be free.

The Granville has begun taking bookings for workspaces and events ahead of its opening this spring.

Brent Clinical Commissioning Group has announced changes to the community’s cardiology service.

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Newsletter Sign Up

Kilburn Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read Kilburn News

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Brent & Kilburn Times
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now