Search

Heartbreak for Grace, 4, who misses out on a school place

PUBLISHED: 10:59 08 September 2011 | UPDATED: 11:22 08 September 2011

Sylvia and Grace Gauthereau

Sylvia and Grace Gauthereau

Archant

170 children without a school at the start of new term

A mother has described the heartbreak of telling her daughter that she cannot start school this week.

Grace Gauthereau, of Temple Road, Cricklewood, is one of 70 four-year-olds and 102 five-year-old children who will not have a school place when the new term starts..

Her mother, Sylvia, says she may have to quit her job to look after the four-year-old until she finds a place.

She said: “Our life is on hold. In the worst case scenario either my husband or I will have to quit our jobs because we will not be able to afford full-time child care. It is heartbreaking to tell Grace she might not go to school when all her friends have a place.”

Brent Council has to find £52 million to deal with the borough’s shortage of primary school places. There could be a shortfall of up to 700 places over the next three years.

Mrs Gauthereau said: “We are now on a waiting list for four schools in the surrounding area. The situation is so bad we would consider moving to New Zealand, where my husband is from, and where every child goes to their local school.”

The council has been criticised for allowing Preston Manor High School to become an ‘all-through’ school for pupils between the ages of four and 18, like Ark Academy, because they are both in the north of the borough.

Criteria

Martin Francis, a former head teacher and chair of governors at two Brent schools, said: “Residents will choose all-through schools at four because it guarantees a place in the secondary school. This would impact on children from the south as they would lose out on the distance criteria.”

But a council spokesman said: “Fifty per cent of pupils admitted to Ark Academy live in the south. There will still be 194 places available for Year Seven admission at Preston Manor and 120 at Ark even when the current primary children move through to the secondary phases of the schools.’

Latest Kilburn & Brent News Stories

13:26

Budding business entrepreneurs in South Kilburn will have the opportunity to partake in a free innovative programme over the summer.

Yesterday, 14:07

An illegal Willesden subletter has been slapped with a fine of thousands of pounds, taking Brent Council to more than 100 criminal prosecutions since it began cracking down on rogue landlords.

Yesterday, 10:34

Sixteen men have been found crammed into three rooms at a slum flat in Burnt Oak.

Friday, July 21, 2017

A Willesden man who raped a girl along with two other men has been jailed for eight years for his part in the crime.

Friday, July 21, 2017

A senior Met Police officer is facing a misconduct hearing for alleged failures in the investigation into the disappearance of Wembley woman Saima Ahmed, who was mysteriously found dead in Scotland early last year.

Friday, July 21, 2017

The second member of a fraudulent Neasden wine business has been jailed, while the operation’s main miscreant remains on the run.

Friday, July 21, 2017

The front counter at Kilburn Police Station has been earmarked for closure alongside a number of safer neighbourhood bases amid £400m cost-cutting plans by the Met.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Charity golfers helped to raise more than £12,000 for a Kenton hospice by enjoying a great game and some fine food.

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most Read Kilburn News

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Brent & Kilburn Times
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now