Dying cat is dumped at the Mayhew Animal Home
PUBLISHED: 12:46 03 March 2016 | UPDATED: 12:46 03 March 2016
An animal shelter has warned of the tragic consequences of neglect after a terribly emaciated cat died after being dumped on its doorstep by a young boy last week.
Staff at the Mayhew Animal Home in Trenmar Gardens, Kensal Green, were shocked when parents sent their young son in with a pet carrier containing Rocky.
The 10-year-old cat was in such a “horrific” state of infection and dehydration she was unable to move her head or stand.
The boy told staff his family had found Rocky on the roadside but when they requested his parents came in and signed papers he was ushered back into the car before the family sped away.
Tragically, vets soon realised Rocky had endured such ‘unimaginable neglect’ that it would be kinder to relieve her suffering and put her to sleep.
Zoe Edwards, animal welfare manager at the Mayhew, said: “To let a cat get to such a neglected state like Rocky and not do anything before it was too late, is cruel and irresponsible.
“We don’t know who owned Rocky but we only wish that whoever did had come forward to us sooner, so we could have done more to help.”
Ms Edwards encouraged owners who were struggling to care for their pets to contact them as soon as possible so that staff have the best chance of protecting, treating and re-homing vulnerable animals.
Ursula Goetz, head vet at The Mayhew, said: “Sadly, the kindest thing to do for Rocky was to put her to sleep as she was too far gone. She was clearly in a lot of pain and it would have been unfair to prolong her suffering. To get to that stage she was in would have taken a few weeks.”
To find out more about the work of the Mayhew’s animal welfare officers visit themayhew.org.