Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 25°C

min temp: 17°C

Five-day forecast

Brent Council received ‘high proportion’ of fake emails supporting Kensal Rise Library development plans

The former building that housed Kensal Rise library The former building that housed Kensal Rise library

Wednesday, September 18, 2013
12:09 PM

A high number of emails supporting controversial plans to convert an axed library branch into flats may have been faked, a council report has revealed.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Children protest about the closure of Kensal Rise LibraryChildren protest about the closure of Kensal Rise Library

The documents, which were published yesterday, has added strength to claims by Friends of Kensal Library that false statements were made against its fight to retain the Bathurst Road building for community use.

In the report, which will be heard by members of the planning committee this evening, it states that email notifications were sent to everyone who made a statement about the plans on the council’s website.

But out of the 78 emails return as being undelivered 70 of those belonged to supporters.

The report states ‘a large proportion of the supporting emails appear to have been fabricated’.

In a further twist, three ‘supporters’ informed the council they had not sent an email backing the plans from their address.

In addition, written letters of support had been received addressed from 95 High Road which is the site of Willesden Library and correspondence addressed from Kensal Rise Library itself.

Campaigners had alleged that statements posted on Brent Council’s website, which supports developer Andrew Gillick of Platinum Revolver Ltd and his planning application to turn the building into homes and a community hub, were not genuine.

Mr Gillick had made counter claims that false objections against the application had also be posted.

Brent Council launched an investigation into both claims last week.

Urging the council to call in the police, Margaret Bailey from FKRL, said: “I now hope the council will investigate from where these fabricated supporting emails for the development of the library building have originated.

“There is technology available to do this and perhaps it is time to call in the expertise of the police. This is fraud.

“Fraud is illegal.”

Cllr Roxanne Mashari, Brent Council’s lead member for environment and neighbourhoods, told the Times the legal department were looking into the claims.

She added: “I have been assured that the planning committee will be fully informed about the falsified comments.”

The planning application which will be heard tonight has been recommended for refusal by Brent Council.

Share this article

Most Read News

Police are hunting for the two burglars

Burglars pose as police to steal £800 in Wembley

The hunt is on to find two burglars who pretended they were police officers to trick their way into a house in Wembley and steal £800.

Read full story »

0 comments

   Local advertisers

Related links

More news stories

Click here to read the Digital Edition of the Brent & Kilburn Times on screen
Use our Wedding site to help you plan your big day!
At WeddingSite we know how much you have to organise for your wedding day, that's why we have designed a set of FREE, simple-to-use tools to make the planning process easy & hassle-free. FIND OUT MORE
Find a date using our online dating and friend finder
You can meet new friends, find romance or simply meet up online with people sharing similar interests and hobbies. FIND OUT MORE
Find a local business using our online directory search
Need a plumber? Or a florist? Or anything else? Search our business directory to find Kilburn businesses in just a few seconds. FIND OUT MORE
Family notices from the Brent & Kilburn Times, with readers' tributes
In memoriam, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, best wishes & special days. FIND OUT MORE

Celebrity / Showbiz See all

Drake has cancelled his Wireless London performance (Photo by Theo Wargo/Getty Images for ESPN)

Fans devastated after Drake cancels Wireless London festival

Rapper Drake has pulled out of his headline appearances at this weekend’s Wireless Festival in London, leaving fans devastated.

Read full story »